Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Beginning


I got through my first day. Everyone is very nice and the food so far has been great. They have me put up in a guest room at the campus, but apparently I will be getting my own apartment in a week or so (they haven't gotten everything prepared for it yet). The website I'll be working on looks like a pretty interesting project. I haven't been able to look at any of the code or anything, but I can already tell it could use some work (it's very much not finished, but I do not agree with some of the design choices that have already been made). You can take a look at it here if you wish.



Dr. Christo, his family, and I went to one of the supermarkets in the town here to pick up some stuff (I needed toiletries). On the way we saw quite a few people out on the streets. Apparently it is the last day of the festival worshiping their elephant god (Vishnu? - I'll have to look that up). He said something about them taking their gods to the river. We could see a couple of their gods from the road - they looked really elaborate (not to mention large).



I am not sure exactly what I will be doing over the next couple of days since they have not gotten a place set up for me to do anything and they do not have the information I need to administrate the website, but I am rather eager to find out. I have already been asked to tell a story for Kindergarten sabbath school and to join the choir so I can see that I will be involved with church stuff. Altogether, I would have to say that I am quite excited.

No comments: