Thursday, January 08, 2009

The CC


Yeah, I've decided to simply refer to it as the CC now. The next, exciting episode of the Crayon Chronicles is here for your viewing pleasure. Just go to my flickr photostream to check it out. Unfortunately, flickr will only allow me to create 3 sets unless I pay them money so I've had to clump everything into one set. Anyway, again, probably best viewed in slideshow.



In other news, Hotmail is the worst and I love gmail. I know what you're thinking ("he's just figuring this out?"), but there's several reasons I hadn't made the switch over to gmail (or anything else besides Hotmail). Actually, there's really just one main reason, which is exactly the opposite of what one would expect: Hotmail sucks. What? Hotmail sucks so he didn't switch? Exactly. More accurately, I didn't think I could switch and still receive e-mails from my hotmail account without paying for hotmail, which I was not going to do. This is because hotmail has no POP or IMAP support, no mail forwarding options (unless forwarding to another Microsoft account or a custom domain) and nothing else that would be remotely convenient in actually receiving my e-mails on another account. Fortunately, today I discovered IzyMail and that has all changed. Basically, what IzyMail does is read hotmail's protocol and translate it to POP (at least that's what I'm using it for) so now I can download my hotmail e-mails to my gmail account. So, you can now e-mail me at my gmail account, or continue to send stuff to my hotmail account, or just send stuff to my Andrews account and no matter what I will get it - in gmail.



There are many reasons why gmail is superior to any other web-based e-mail client I've used -- first and foremost would probably have to be the emphasis on search. However, one of the things that made me the happiest when switching from hotmail is exemplified by the following.



Notice how prettily indented everything is in the picture above - it's actually readable and (if I took the time) understandable. That's gmail. Now for hotmail:



Yeah, it's ugly, nasty and unusable. Instead of indenting it, they evidently decided to slam everything up to the left margin. I was quite satisfied when I saw that I wasn't going to have to deal with that horrible output anymore.



Thus ends my rant on gmail vs. hotmail. I apologize that I have not put up any further account of my adventures in the Northern part of India. Hopefully I'll get to that before I completely forget what happened, but the internet provider at the office has been spotty at best and I have been quite sick since I got back. Hopefully I'll be able to get it up soon.

No comments: