Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Crayon Chronicles


It all started when I received a gift package from Andrews University (the school that I attend for those who do not know - haha, I crack myself up pretending people I don't talk to regularly or am not related to read this). This gift package contained several things which I was quite happy to see - namely peanut butter, a pretty nice water bottle, a shirt, and some other snacks. However, on the bottom of the package, much to my surprise, lay a broken-open box of crayons and what used to be its contents strewn about in various states of disrepair. I thought to myself, "Crayons? What do they think I am, a fourth grader?" Because, to the best of my remembrance, that was the last grade that I had used crayons.



I didn't think much of it and stowed the crayons back in the box. Then, later that day, I was chatting with Ashley (a student missionary in Thailand whom I met while visiting Mike) online and she said that she was sending me a letter. I thought to myself, "A letter? What does she think this is, 1885?" but responded, "Oh... cool," or something like that. Then, later, as I was walking back to my abode, I was thinking that I would have to send her something back (she mentioned that one of the reasons she was sending me a letter is because she knew how much she liked receiving letters). Then, the crayons popped into my mind. "Hmm..." I thought, "I could write a letter in crayon." Then I had another thought. As those who have been around me on Sunday morning know, I love comics. As those of you who've seen my sister's last Christmas present to me know, I really like comics (The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Collection, aw yeah). What a lot of people don't know is that I've always wanted to draw a good comic, but haven't really wanted to spend too much effort on the drawing and haven't wanted to copy the likes of xkcd (which I love). So, I thought that drawing a comic in the theme of a childish drawing in crayon would be perfect. So, that's what I did. I drew a couple of comics, took pictures of them, and sent them to Ashley. And now I will release The Crayon Chronicles upon the world!



(I suggest viewing them as a slide show)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Hmmm. So now I see what you were really thinking...

Nicol Clark said...

hahaha :) Very nice. You show great skill with crayons - must have learned your lesson well before fifth grade. I've got to write you!! (because I really like getting mail :-P)

Me likey xkcd (at least what I saw of it - especially the missy elliott one - rofl).

There is a BLOODY CRICKET in my living room and Jeff will not capture and release him or kill him or anything. "it's just a cricket" he says. AGH - it's going to come upstairs and eat me in my sleep I just know it. If he were outside, I wouldn't mind him at all, but i do not like sharing my home with insects. He's a quick little thing, too! I have tried to get him, but he has eluded me. Hope he doesn't attack my child tomorrow...

Aw yeah - Calvin and Hobbes. :) Last weekend Daddy and Mummy were reading Far Side and laughing uproariously. It was really funny. Made me miss you giggling over C&H in our apartment countless times last year...

So when are we going to skype - I'm sure you're dying to hear my melodious voice again :-P.

Steve said...

@ashley: haha, yeah, well, I might've taken a bit of literary license when transcribing my thoughts, but it was something along those lines... Don't get me wrong - it was nice to receive a letter - just not something I would've thought of.

@jeff and nicol (a.k.a. nicol :P ) I'm sad to hear that you are being pestered by a cricket. That makes me sad. I generally don't like sharing my home with insects either, but lately I've been letting them be if I think there is even a remote chance that they might kill mosquitoes from time to time. I'm even letting spiders live - unless they're in my bedroom and I suspect they've been biting me in the night. That reminds me - a mosquito pretty much flew up my nose last night while I was sleeping and I slapped myself in the face and then sniffled for the next 30 sec and finally sneezed. I think I killed it though because it didn't bug me the rest of the night. (get it - bug me hahaha ...sorry...)

Nicol Clark said...

Oh my...bug me Steve? Really? lay-ayme. :-P hahaha j/k j/k But the mosquito up your nose story was pretty hilarious :). lol

Yeah, some of those xkcd=not morally acceptable :-P, I found as I continued perusing.

I'm wondering when I'm going to find a dried up dead cricket in my house... Or worse yet, find Anika crunching on it... :-O